Fort Collins Home Energy Audits
Greater lighting efficiency in your home with LED technology.
Have you noticed that technology is all around us in nearly all of our lives. But when it comes to lighting our homes, we are in the same place we were 50 years ago. All of that is about to change. We will see a dramatic shift in how we light our homes and work places in the next few years. And it all starts now. LED lighting is the game changing technology that will transforming all lighting in our lives.
What is LED lighting? It is an assembly of Light Emitting Diodes or chips that are manufactured for the purpose of efficient lighting. What is so different about LED lighting? A valid question. What does LED lighting do differently and better than the incandescent lighting we have all grown up with?
Here is a breakdown of differences and benefits between LED and other forms of lighting products:
- No warm up time
- Much more energy efficient, up to 80% more efficient than incandescent
- LEDs run cooler than comparable lumen rated incandescents. This has a huge affect on the energy needed for cooling in the summer. LEDs only emit 3 BTUs/hour. CFLs emit 30 BTUs/hour. Incandescent bulbs emit 85 BTUs/hour.
- LEDs can last 25 times longer and even more than incandescents. LEDs last 25,000-50,000 hours, while incandescents last about 1,000 hours
- LEDs reduce our carbon footprint in a dramatic way:
- 10 LEDs = 150 pounds of carbon emissions per year
- 10 CFLs = 350 pounds/year
- Incandescent bulbs = 1,500 pounds/year
- LEDs contain no mercury so they do not pose a health hazard in your home or landfills
- Because LEDs last so much longer, you may never have to change some of your light bulbs again, in your lifetime.
- LEDs come in a variety of color temperatures, giving you the option to achieve different looks depending up the desired effect. Most incandescents come in one color temperature.